Edgar Allan Poe

''All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.'' Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1845), US
Edgar Allen Poe was an American author, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement.
Best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre, Poe was one of the earliest American practitioners of the short story and is considered the inventor of the detective fiction genre. He is further credited with contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction.  
He was the first well-known American writer to try to earn a living through writing alone, resulting in a financially difficult life and career. 
Read more / here   http://www.poemhunter.com/edgar-allan-poe/biography/
artist, Tomasz Rut

A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις

Εικόνα

Nikiforos Vrettakos